Tuesday, January 25, 2011

R-Day Special

Saavdhan , vishram, saavdhan.
Anna jahan ka—humne khaya
Vastra jahan ke – humne pehne
Woh hai pyara – desh hamara
Iski raksha – hum karenge, hum karenge, hum karenge.
This was the slogan I used to shout in my school twice a year- R-day and I-day. Followed by the National Anthem and then the announcer used to invite the Principal to give some guiding words to the students and the Principal clearly overrides the instructions of the announcer as he translated the words into speech.
At that time I could not guess but now I am sure that the Principal was the master of some Chinese art which can make people sleep by words. Just for the sake of two Bananas I used to stand two hours or more, facing the Sun, the Speeches and most interesting (actually horrible) the performances of the students. I never performed in the school on any occasion, because of that I need to perform now to get the appraisal from my Boss. Most of you must have coincidence with me.
Things have changed. We are grown up and civilized now and can wear the low waist denim to flash the underwear. Republic day is just another leave. I asked my Boss to color the company logo in tricolor on the eve of Republic day. He replied that the Management had already taken the decision to color it to blue to support Indian Cricket team for the coming World Cup as a marketing strategy. I was wordless.
I began to imagine the day when we can see the cricketers marching down the Rajpath in place of Armed forces. Missiles will be replaced by stumps and tanks by the cricket bats.
I read an advertisement by a bar, serving special drinks on the occasion of R-day. I thought what could be the special drinks? Are they going to mix sense of brotherhood and patriotism with beer?
Is this a silly question??
Yes it is, Brotherhood, Patriotism, Social Service etc. all comes in, when you are drunk. I witnessed people discussing Nuclear Bill, marriages of their children, Employment Enhancement and so many things for which a focused and calm mind is required, in the bar.
I am also a responsible citizen of this country. I and my friends had chalked out some critical issues to discuss on. As tomorrow is a holiday so tonight we can discuss.
Happy Republic Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment